According to his biography, he has organised and led over 100 expeditions. JBS (as he is known to his friends) is a practical field engineer and has become one of the world’s most renowned and highly respect explorers.
JBS works with underprivileged young people and supports numerous UK charities. He also helps carry out countless community aid projects in remote parts of the world.
More about the Colonel
- Served in the army for 37 years.
- Founded Scientific Exploration Society in 1969.
- Ran Operation Drake from 1978 to 1980 to help young people from 27 nations work with scientists and servicemen in 16 counties.
- Set up Operation Raleigh to help over 10,000 young people from 50 nations take part in worthwhile global expeditions from 1984 to 1991.
- Founded Operation New World, to provide field experience for environmental students.
- President of Just a Drop charity, providing funding for water projects in the developing world.
“His innovative method of negotiating white water in inflatable boats has been adopted as a worldwide sport.” From his online biography.
As part of our expedition in April, we shall be rafting the Karnali river. Described as “a perennial, torrential, turbulent and undisturbed river of the Himalayas” it sounds like a real adventure. I can’t wait!